PLEASE REMEMBER TO RESET YOUR CLOCKS BEFORE YOU GO TO BED TONIGHT, SAT MARCH 8, 2014: REMEMBER “SPRING FORWARD / FALL BACK”. SET YOUR CLOCKS ***FORWARD*** ONE HOUR. EASTERN DAYLIGHT SAVINGS TIME GOES INTO EFFECT AT 2:00AM SUNDAY, MARCH 9, 2014. THAT IS ALL NOW.
Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.
Nature’s peace will flow into you
as sunshine flows into trees.
The winds will blow their own freshness into you,
and the storms their energy,
while cares will drop off like autumn leaves. – John Muir
~ · ~
What is Harriman Hikers?
- Harriman Hikers is a hiking club for single adults of all ages. We meet up for hiking EVERY SUNDAY at 11:30 am in the South Parking Lots, Field B-1, of the Ramapo College of New Jersey on Route 202 in Mahwah, NJ.
- Founded in 1974, Harriman Hikers is one of the longest-existing outdoors singles groups in the NYC – NJ- Hudson Valley, NY area!
About Our Hikes
- Harriman Hikers hikes are what many would consider “intermediate level”, which is to say, hikers should be in good physical condition and under prevailing weather conditions, capable of hiking 7-9 miles over hilly and rocky wilderness terrain where some hills can be steep.
- Hiking boots and a light duty backpack or fannypack are recommended. Please dress appropriately for the season and weather, with brisk activity in mind; bring plenty of drinking water and your own lunch. Otherwise, no special equipment is needed.
- We hike throughout the entire year- every Sunday and in all kinds of weather. Really. For over 30 years now.
- Hike destinations are chosen immediately prior to the hikes, (the morning of the hike) by the Hike Leader based on prevailing weather conditions, size of the hiking group and the availability of trailhead parking; in other words, hike destinations are not pre-scheduled.
- There is always a veteran sweep hiker at the tail end of the group making sure no one strays off the trail.
- Most of the hikes take place in Harriman State Park (NY), but we also hike in the State Parks of northern New Jersey such as Wawayanda State Park, Norvin Green State Forest, Ramapo Reservation and in the southern Hudson Valley, such parks as Black Rock Forest, Sterling Forest and Bear Mountain State Park.
- Over the years, Harriman Hikers have hiked hundreds of trail / destination combinations throughout the NY-NJ area.
- In good hiking weather we typically hike to mountaintops to enjoy the many spectacular vistas in the region overlooking such areas as the Hudson River and the many lakes, forests, and valleys in the region. In the heat of the summer the destination is usually a lakeside, and in freezing winter weather the destination will be one of the many wilderness shelters with fireplaces scattered throughout the parks, where we stop to eat lunch and keep warm by a roaring fire.
- A typical hike ends between 5 and 6 pm and, off Daylight Saving Time, we always plan to be out before dark. After the hike some folks get together for refreshments and/or dinner at nearby restaurants.
Who Can Join?
- Any single, divorced, separated or widowed person of any adult age is welcome. On the average Sunday some 30 hikers join the hike. Ages range from the 20′s to retirement. Year-round, there is generally an eclectic female / male ratio and mix of newcomer and regular hikers.
- There is no “club to join”; you only need to show up and sign in. The fee is $8 per hike*. Hikers form car pools, drive to the trailhead together, and return to the original meetup point at Ramapo College the same way.
*Note: Ramapo College Students, Faculty & Staff hike with us FREE.
- Use of cellular telephones on Harriman Hikers Hikes is discouraged. Please enjoy the outdoors and allow others to do the same by limiting celphone usage to emergencies!
Directions to Ramapo College, Mahwah, NJ:
- From the South take Route 17 to Mahwah. Exit to Route 202 south (left). The college is 1.5 miles from Route 17.
- From Route 287 take Exit 58 in Oakland, then follow Route 202 north about 5 miles to the college.
- From Rockland County take Route 202 through Suffern and continue on 202 to the college in Mahwah.
- From the NY Thruway take the exit to 17 south, bear left to stay on 17 into NJ, then the first exit is Route 202. Turn left to take 202 south to the college.
- :: There are two traffic lights by the college; coming from the north (Route 17) take the 1st light (main entrance) at the college. Coming from the south the main entrance will be the 2nd light.
- :: Look for the group in the South Parking Lots B-1. If you use the main entrance (as suggested above), just take the first two right turns, around the gymnasium, to get to the South Parking lots.
- MAP ANOTHER MAP
If you need more information call Ed at (973) 471-0492 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
About Our Members
The image above is from our 2013 Sunday-after-Thanksgiving-Day-Hike. The “Thanksgiving Hike” is normally very well attended. We generally all bring our Turkey-Day leftovers and do a mild hike, during which, at lunchtime, the feastings are re-feasted upon. This photo represents a good cross section of the people you might meet hiking with us. – Gene, Hike Leader, Sept. 2004. (updated yearly by Webmaster.) Go here for more Harriman Hikers Thanksgiving Hike pics